Thursday, September 27, 2007

Herbert Matter


I went to see "Pollock Matters" at the McMullen Museum of Art. It was interesting to see Herbert Matter's work placed next to that of Pollock. There were several examples of Matter's action photography, which I think had appealing lines, as well as (I guess obviously) a sense of movement. There were a series of photos in which Matter captured the movement of a man getting dressed by attaching a light to him, (what was captured was the movement of the light). The result (I couldn't find an example online) was a photograph with white lines reminiscent of Pollock's "drip paintings."
This is a photograph of Herbert, his wife, Jackson Pollock, and Lee Krasner, taken by Matter. I've decided that photographs where he captured light are (for me) only initially interesting. After looking at the lines however, I felt I had taken all I wanted from the photograph. The pictures Herbert took of his wife, along with the one shown, captivated my attention, and had me visiting their place in the gallery more than once.

2 comments:

Sonia said...

Where is this museum? I'd love to see those pictures alongside Pollock's work.

Erin said...

its the gallery space at BC